Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Spiritual Art of Packing...

I knew it was getting bad when I found that I was arguing with myself over whether I should bring the computer backpack that I have. It makes me feel like I look young, like a student. When I brought this up to my mom last week, she smiled gleefully and responded, "well, you're going to be taking classes, so that makes you a student." Thanks mom...but not helpful in my internal debate.

Today as I sat on our comfy chaise lounge trying to spend my prayer day really praying, my mind began to wander..up the stairs, down the hallway, past the bathroom and stared into the dark abyss that was once a well organized closet.

In my minds eye I began to envision the thing I am dreading most about going to Vancouver, packing. Now, most of my actual packing is done. My furniture is gone from my room, friends came over a little over a week ago and packed up pretty much everything less my clothes, shoes and a few "essentials" that I swear I can't live without. I need to bring my food processor with me...really I do. So in reality there isn't much left to do, but there are still decisions to me made.

So as I sat on the comfy chaise lounge my mind,distracted from my prayers, was feeling everything but comfortable. Finally I just cried out, "Jesus this feels really stupid but will you help me with my packing. I need to decide what to bring with me and what to leave behind." I felt a little foolish in my sudden outburst. But to my relief, in the way only Jesus can, came His still, gentle yet strong voice saying, "I would be delighted to help you. Thanks for asking me."

Wow, Jesus wants to help me pack. Really!? Really - He wants to be invited into everything. From packing, cooking, reading, laughing, crying, studying, He wants to be invited along for everything. Practicing His presence is possible even in the midst of packing. Perhaps the deeper spiritual metaphor for me here was that Jesus wants to help me pack what I really need to take with me and he wants to unpack the things that I need to leave behind.

So often we try to move on to new things, new places, new people, but we drag around the same old baggage. Sure there are lots of new things on top or in the main compartment, but dig deeper into that side pocket and you'll find the old underwear you forgot you even owned. But Jesus wants to unpack that for you. He wants to show us what we really need to bring and what we can really live without.

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say, wow man I LOVE this post. It is soooo true, He likes taking part in ALL decision making...even packing!

    ReplyDelete