Friday, April 9, 2010

What a way to begin...

I've been sleeping on an air mattress for the past week and a half in a room that's half the size that I've been in. It's been slightly humbling to be honest to you. I like having space...more than I apparently realized.
I've been spending the last week working long hours trying to tie up all the loose ends at work...and for those of you also in ministry, you know the work is never quite done.
The greatest thing that has happened all semester happened on the last day of my "office time", Wednesday.
I had met Brenda last semester at a LaFe Bible study last semester. She's a fiery Mexican American who loves to laugh, talk, and is passionate about helping the unfortunate. Back in February Brenda came to Breakthrough and I got an opportunity to hear from her where she was at spiritually. She was so close to following Jesus but had some roadblocks holding her back. I told her we should have coffee...2 months later we finally did.
What an amazing conversation we had. It was real! Full of laughter, questions, the sharing of fears, confusions, longings. As I shared the gospel to her, I could see her spirit being awakened to what God was all about. As I finished sharing I said to her "Brenda,you know the truth. Jesus is asking you to follow Him with your whole life. He loves you, delights in you, desires to cleanse you from all your sin and draw you back into relationship with Him. The question is, are you ready." As she looked up at me, with eyes shining, she said "Yeah, I'm ready. I want to follow him. This feels right this time. Let's do it." So we prayed. It was awesome. It was a rush. It was a celebration in heaven.
What a way to begin my sabbatical!!

No comments:

Post a Comment