Sunday, January 30, 2011

Savoring the Sabbath

We sat for 3 hours on our back porch today. Sipping cool water while we bathed in the warm sunlight as a cool breeze danced across our faces. We laughed heartily and loudly as we reminisced telling stories of friends and as we try to decide which of the Oscar nominated movies we would watch later in the evening.
Sabbath, a gift to savor and delight in. It's one of the greatest things that I learned from my time in Vancouver that I have implemented into my life.  Sabbath, God's gift to us. A day we are called to cease from striving, cease from accomplishment, a day where we cease trying to be God.  It's a day to worship, be in community and feast.
My first class at Regent during Spring session was Sabbath Keeping. I took it with a bit of hesitation for two reason, it was at 8am and I was on sabbatical ant the thought of having to catch the bus by 7:40am didn't sound very restful to me; and because I knew that I would be convicted by the fact that I wasn't currently keeping the Sabbath or at least not fully.  Well, a week of waking at 7am to leave by 7:40am proved to be worth it. I learned so much. The teacher was good, the discussion was stimulating, but it was God's conviction and my implementation that made the class worth it.
I realize the beauty and the fullness of sabbath, when I wake up Monday morning feeling well rested.
I realize the beauty and the fullness of sabbath while I am worshiping in my car on the way to church, at church and as i come home from church. And it's not just the music that causes me to worship, it's the beauty that I see around me, the laughter of my friends, the prayers that we pray, the preaching of the word, the ways I see God in the big, and the small. In the grandness and simplicity of who He is and what he has done.  
I see the beauty and fullness of sabbath in community with family and friends both near and far. What a delight it is to laugh and talk with people that I love. It brings me so much joy to just sit for hours and not have to worry about rushing off to do something else. 
I see the beauty and the fullness of sabbath in the ways that I try to eat more simply during the week so that what I eat for sabbath seems that much more like a feast. Some, dare I say most people that I know, hate or at least don't really like cooking. Not me. I love it. There are moments during the week when I cook that I savor every bite that I take because it's so delightful. I'm trying to make sabbath that and more.
Sabbath, a day to savor, to delight in, to look forward to.  Sabbath, a day that teaches us to let God fully be in control. Sabbath, a day to rest, to pray and to play. Sabbath, a day in which we cease from striving and productivity in order to be productive the other 6 days of the week. Sabbath, a day created by God for us. He took a sabbath and commands us to take one too.
Ahhhh......simply savor Sabbath...I think I'll go take a nap now.

No comments:

Post a Comment